The Useful Duck!

Contribute to my Vacation, please...

Wednesday, December 11, 2013

Who wudda thunk? I have friends!

I got several packages in the mail Monday...
I hurriedly ripped open the plain brown wrapping! You know when you get packages with plain brown wrapping there is something good inside! Of course this only exacerbates my problem of impulse buying on ebay, which I guess, makes me a chronic exacerbator.
I opened the smallest package first, cause I knew by the shape that the bigger package was the Jimi Hendrix albums I impulse bought on ebay...
After shredding several layers of brown paper I found a trove of bass plugs.
Including the original "JitterBug!"
It was from a nice fellow who I bought a vintage wax sealing jar lid from a while back. He likes to carry around a duck.
Which reminds me of a story about a fellow with a pet duck. He would take the duck with him everywhere he went. One day he decided to go to the movies.
They wouldn't let him take the duck!
So...he put the duck down his pants and snuck the duck into the theatre.
He sat down to watch the movie and was joined by a couple elderly ladies. They didn't seem to be paying him any mind so he decided to unzip his pants to let the duck watch the movie.
All of a sudden the elderly lady next to him set up with a start and elbowed her companion.
"Mildred would you look at that," she exclaimed with consternation!
"Oh, that's nothing I haven't seen before," her companion replied with a sniff.
"Well sure," the first lady replied, "But this one is eating my popcorn!"

But, I digress...

The second package also had a surprise! A really cool bonus album cover.
The Buddies! West Coast Action Sound. Not a lot of info on the Buddies. But Mr. Buddy Looks very determined!

I only made it past the second song. Sort of a Beach Boys wannabe album. Ok for background music and an awesome album cover.
I do like surf music but the lyrics really annoy me after a while. I was looking for Ventures albums. They don't sing!
I need to be making feed but I have stomach cramps. It could have been the bean soup last night or it could be whatever felled my daughter last week. Or it could be I'm just worried about leaving on a trip, spending money, no retirement, cold weather, and general laziness. Or perhaps it is the five cups of coffee I used to wash down a handful of vitamins that are supposed to keep me from getting sick...

So...

Here is a question for those who have traveled in the past decade.
Should I take my rather large MacBook Pro or should I take a sketchbook and write down my adventures? I could post them with my wife's iPhone.
I did not buy a wireless access point as Old Farmer did for his rambling adventures.
As of now I'm taking a rather large digital camera, MacBook Pro 17," and the assorted cords. I sort of hate to take anything of value that I can't keep on my body. I bought a MacBook 13" on ebay for $250 Monday but then the seller emailed my saying it wouldn't book properly and the battery was dead and he sent my my money back.
I thought about an Acer touch screen tablet which I could also use for GPS but didn't want to pay more than $250. I have a 14" ibook but it is now too slow with all the bloated stuff on the internet.
I'm really thinking about going without a computer.
I would if we were going to camp the whole time, but that doesn't sound like it is going to be practical.
Hmmmm....

10 comments:

  1. When traveling, the important thing to ask yourself is, "How well do my elecronics color-coordinate with my wardrobe?"

    ReplyDelete
  2. They say, Blue Nun goes with anything!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Some say that a real vacation involves getting totally disconnected from the net, phones, etc. while you are away. We would miss your blogging commentary though.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sketchbook, scratch paper, candy wrappers and a pencil. Native tools for a proper Lazy Farmer on escape; wife's iPhone for etherzone interface. 17" probook might drag like an anchor.

    ReplyDelete
  5. We've a Samsung pad that we like using, but last time we went on holiday there was no WiFi so no good! There's always your phone I guess! I like the story about the duck - reminds me of another one:
    A Duck walks into a pub and orders a pint of bitter and a ham sandwich.

    The barman looks at him and says, "But you're a duck".

    "I see your eyes are working", replies the duck.

    "And you talk!" exclaims the barman.

    "I see your ears are working", says the duck, "Now can I have my beer and my sandwich please?"

    "Certainly", says the barman, "sorry about that, it's just we don't get many ducks in this pub. What are you doing round this way?"

    "I'm working on the building site across the road", explains the duck.

    Then the duck drinks his beer, eats his sandwich and leaves.

    This continues for 2 weeks.

    Then one day the circus comes to town.

    The Ringmaster of the circus comes into the pub and the barman says to him, "You're with the circus aren't you? I know this duck that would be just brilliant in your circus, he talks, drinks beer and everything!".

    "Sounds marvelous", says the ringmaster, "get him to give me a call".

    So the next day when the duck comes into the pub the barman says, "Hey Mr. Duck, I reckon I can line you up with a top job, paying really good money!"

    "Yeah?" says the duck, "Sounds great, where is it?"

    "At the circus", says the barman.

    "The circus?" the duck enquires.

    "That's right", replies the barman.

    "The circus?" the duck asks again.

    "Yes" says the barman

    "That place with the big tent?" the duck enquires.

    "Yeah" the barman replies.

    "With all the animals?" the duck questioned.

    "Of Course" the barman replies.

    "With the big canvas roof with the hole in the middle", asks the duck.

    "That's right!" says the barman.

    The duck looks confused. "What the FECK would they want with a plasterer?"

    I thought I'd try to get a longer comment in!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A good joke to tell when plastered! I lathed.
      (I didn't really say that)

      Delete
    2. Nothing like a good duck joke followed by a bad pun...

      Delete
  6. Well, you could buy an ipad mini for about $300 bucks, blog with wi-fi, and you wouldn't need to haul along the big camera.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Samsung Chromebook. $250. Wonderful battery life. I have a number of PCs but that's what I use most often and it probably has been the tool for my best work. If someone steals it, so what. Actually if they know it's only $250 new they won't steal it. That steal from people with Apple devices. There's wireless everywhere. If your phone won't work as a hot spot don't worry about it.

    ReplyDelete
  8. The level of electronics to be carried on this trip is a bit of an issue. It is not like we are going hiking in the woods for a month. The only reason not to take stuff along is theft or weight issues.
    A chromebook would have been a good idea. I kind of need the macbook for various end of the year issues but I'm still thinking. If my little iBook still lived I'd just take it. I have a feeling I'm not really going to spend that much time online.

    ReplyDelete

Tell me what you think

Please leave comments! It is really easy!

You just type your comment in the text box below the post. You can be anyone you want.
And...Would the joker who keeps clicking "offensive" please leave an explanation ?!