The Useful Duck!

Contribute to my Vacation, please...

Monday, July 4, 2011

We celebrate the 4th of July

We just watched a pretty good fireworks display from lawn chairs in our front yard. The neighboring town ran out of room for their fireworks display so they moved it to our fair city. The one which has been unkind to bicyclists in the past.
We live 2 miles west of town but 2 miles gives a good perspective on a fireworks display. Plus, we got to see all the illegal fireworks going off.
The 4th of July is an interesting hobby. People willfully violate the law in the last remaining demonstration of the attitude that built our country. The tight-arsed folks that have pretty much ruined the country, have made any fun fireworks illegal and homemade ones make you a terrorist. But, you would not believe the number of explosions rocking the neighborhood tonight. The illegal fireworks run pretty good competition with the expensive official fireworks display.
The joy of illegal fireworks provide excellent object lessons to the kids to explain what useless crap the elected officials spend their time doing.
I attempted to pick up bales today. I didn't get a lot done. There was a picnic with my wife's family.
Yesterday we went down to the river. The kids seemed to thing it was a good idea to spray me with water in an attempt to get me to go swimming. Finally I was so wet I just jumped in.
Then they pushed me  into current in the big tractor tire inner tube. I needed some peace and quiet at that point so I just floated away. The actually seemed to get a little worried and ran for the 4 wheeler to intercept me downstream.
Here is a photo of my 92 year old father taking a shot at a pop can with a BB gun. He hit it!




As a young lad he was able to shoot a dime out of the air with a .22 rifle.

2 comments:

  1. I had fun watching the "helper" avoid getting the tractor stuck while cutting hay yesterday. Nothing broke that I saw, so I guess the new mower works ok.
    I avoided making anything explode or shoot vertical. I guess I got that out of my system as a kid before it became a federal offense. I was tempted to do something about that beaver dam on the overflow of the north pond though. It would have been a perfect time.
    Bring Dad over here, he can shoot starlings all day long!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I remember us two kids and my folks lining up on the back of our big flatbed truck to watch the fireworks in town about three miles away. Now the hills are all covered with trees and todays cheap fireworks barely get off the ground, so that sort of country entertainment is no more in my neck of the woods.

    ReplyDelete

Tell me what you think

Please leave comments! It is really easy!

You just type your comment in the text box below the post. You can be anyone you want.
And...Would the joker who keeps clicking "offensive" please leave an explanation ?!