The Useful Duck!

Tuesday, September 29, 2026

Back to the farm. The problems of readjusting to the drudgery and suffering of everyday life after jetsetting around the world (WARNING Contains selfies)

A week ago I was in Italy. Farming was just a vague dread in the back of my mind. Yesterday I was walking across a field to get my pickup because of a breakdown. 

Look at me on Saturday afternoon! Happy and optimistic and ready to get to work. 

 

Someone pulled the pull rope off the air compressor and the battery was dead and I had a flat.

So I hiked...

It wasn't at 10,000 feet, but the view wasn't the same either.

This is me yesterday afternoon. Super happy to be hiking across a field and absolutely ready to get work done! Farming is not so much a profession as a lifestyle and I am truly living the life!

I have a field of hay that got rained on, I have somewhere between one and six ton of feed to make depending on which customers have already ditched me, there is 200 acres of annual ryegrass to plant, and I only managed to plant 3 acres of Timothy seed. Apparently, I did not blow out the small seed tubes and while I can't get Teff to grow when I actually plant it in dirt, it will sprout and grow three inches in that little bend in my small seed tubes...

So it is only 7:30 pm and getting dark. The drill plugged up every 50 feet. The kitchen range failed Sunday and the part arrived Monday. My wife texted me to come fix it so I did take a wee break from cleaning seed tubes every 100 feet. Finally I checked the seed rate and decided just not to plant in the dark. Plus, after being exposed to COVID day one and never getting more than my usual allergetic sniffle on the trip. I come home and get sick... (not the WuFlu, just the usual summer cold, grumpy and tired and a constant headache...)

 

One of the arguments for the trip was, why worry? Your work will be here when you get home... Yes, and that was my argument against. My work is in fact still here, but my motivation is not... 

But, the trip was great and I don't remember wondering if I would make it up the hill. I just remember how happy I was to be at the top!

Have a nice day... I will probably post more about my trip tomorrow. I got distracted today.

 

Now here is something you don't see everyday on the farm!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Tell me what you think

Please leave comments! It is really easy!

You just type your comment in the text box below the post. You can be anyone you want.
And...Would the joker who keeps clicking "offensive" please leave an explanation ?!