The Useful Duck!

Contribute to my Vacation, please...

Tuesday, September 29, 2009

How can you work all day and accomplish nothing?

I am trying to get ready to plant. This should not be a hard job. I already did a lot of work to my drill. It should have been just a matter of hooking it up.
I did remount my calc-an-acre and spraymate fertilizer rate controller. That was not a big deal. I now have way to many cables in the cab. Very messy in the cab now. The foam marker is nto working, worked on that for a little while. I changed my orfice plates to drop down to 10 gal of fertilizer per acre.
Brother and I went and looked at a field to work for a vineyard fellow. He wants to be organic and I have no good idea how to get him a crop. If I knew, I'd be organic myself. He wants to plant clover and get a crop for bees next year.
The field is on a hillside, it has not been worked in years. Lots of bentgrass and black berries. I'm betting his pH is below 5.5! I could disk it twice, plow, disk, harrow twice, harrow again, plant. But, do I wait for a sprout? This is the end of September. What about erosion?
We told him to mow it and we would disk it a couple times and see what happens. I think I could use my no-till drill to plant oats.
Checked out some fields, trying to figure out if our spring planted red clover is a failure. I think it is. Or if our spring planted fescue in the teff field will make it. There are good heathy plants, just not that many of them.
I did mount the digital TV antenna for my wife. That was not so successful. Four channels of PBS! Boy, switching to digital was a good idea for us! Especially since I do hate TV...
Tomorrow is another day!
Remember, if you let yourself down-you let your country down!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Tell me what you think

Please leave comments! It is really easy!

You just type your comment in the text box below the post. You can be anyone you want.
And...Would the joker who keeps clicking "offensive" please leave an explanation ?!