The Useful Duck!

Contribute to my Vacation, please...

Sunday, April 19, 2015

Another Memorial Service

I went to a memorial service today.
It was for a local fellow who I have known for many years. He used to drive a Studebaker Stationwagon. I think his wife drove it until the late 1990's.
He was a machinist who could make absolutely anything.
He was 71 years old.
The Doctors had a lot of trouble figuring out what was wrong with this. He was in a lot of pain. I'm not sure I ever heard exactly what was wrong.
Here is the deal...
I've gone to church my entire life, I've heard a lot of sermons and I've heard a lot of talk about being a proper witness to the local community, the importance of saving souls,
In fact I heard quite the sermon from his pastor at the memorial service. He laid it all on pretty thick. No real disrespect intended, your typical modern pastor who is a good speaker.
However, that is not why the church was packed.
My friend was a good guy. He didn't make a big deal out of his faith. Rather, he lived his faith. His word was gold, he treated everyone as he would prefer to be treated and he did the best work he could do.
There were people at his memorial that that no amount of tract passing and lecturing would never bring into a church.
They had pie and ice cream after the service.

While I was having pie I received a text from a good friend noting that his father died last night.
So, who is next?

3 comments:

  1. Budd, welcome to middle age, when the good guys start dropping like flies. Sorry about the loss of your friend.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm familiar with that old saying that it goes in threes. If somebody dies we start to wonder who the next two will be. I have no real research figures to back up that theory though.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have decided never to die. Failing that, if I annoy enough people I will always be remembered.

    ReplyDelete

Tell me what you think

Please leave comments! It is really easy!

You just type your comment in the text box below the post. You can be anyone you want.
And...Would the joker who keeps clicking "offensive" please leave an explanation ?!