The Useful Duck!

Contribute to my Vacation, please...

Friday, July 21, 2017

I am recovered and doing my usual mucking about...

I have recovered.
I am still having phone issues so I have no photos to share.
Today I went to sleep mowing and hit the fence. This was a bit hard on the reel mower. It is ironic that yesterday I got in trouble for letting my student run the reel mower. He was making perfectly straight lines and driving perfectly.
It was I who hit the fence...
Oh well, that is why God gave us welders...
My phone is a frustrating experience. I have an iPhone 6plus which has failed at least four times in the year I've had it.
I have Asurian insurance through Verizon. It is kind of an amazing scam, or at lest as I understand it.
Apple gives you a one year limited warranty but does not cover screens. However, they will sell you a new screen for around $150.
If you pay through the nose for Asurian they will give you a "reconditioned" phone for $150. Apple will not honor the one year replacement warranty on the Asurian replacement phone. Asurain gives you a phone that someone traded in because it was broken. So you get a crap phone for $150 which will probably fail and if you get stuck with a crappy model then you can't trade your way out of it.
I'm not sure there is any point in Asurain insurance on your phone. I think if I get a new phone I will try a SquareTrade warranty. I had it on a computer once I was very happy.
Today I intended to go pick up bales for my neighbors. They loaned us a baler when our engine failed.
However, my brother and I went to look at a combine instead and then I made some pig feed.
Making pig and chicken feed is not as much fun as it used to be when I didn't have a job.
I now have a good and rather large New Holland mixer-grinder. It pulls easy and holds 4,000lbs. It will also grind hay.
I liked making feed because I could trade it for beef and pork and it was a nice break from working on tractors in the cold. Grinding dusty grain when it is 80 degrees and almost dark is not as much fun as I had imagined. Plus, I think feed prices are down and I'm not getting the serious buyers I used to get.
Tomorrow I'm going to pick up bales. But, I am using my old iPhone 5 which does have enough memory to store books on tape. So it will be a long day.
Perhaps i can think of funny stories to blog about.

5 comments:

  1. Yes, more funny stories. Glad to hear you are back on the job and ok. I was grinding oats today too and it always seems itchier when the weather is warm. I enjoy it more in winter time when the work just keeps me warm and I'm wrapped up in enough clothes to keep the dust out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My new customer wants to come over this afternoon for a barrel of feed and I just don't feel like getting oat dust down my neck when it is 95 degrees out.
      My neighbor wants me to help her stack which actually sounds good as the Stacker has a/c. Of course the hills are so steep that the water from the A/C drain dumps on my head instead of out the drain tube and it is like 80 percent humidity.

      Delete
  2. Fence was in the wrong place at the wrong time. Bring it up on charges of Obstruction of Nap and Willful Destruction of Daydreams. Install GPS on the longmolar?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Fenceposts are known to jump out at you when they think you are not looking. Vindictive creatures.

      Delete
  3. I happened to glance up and looked at a guy moving along on one of my 72" John Deeres'......all of a sudden he comes to a dead stop and leaves the seat for a moment. I'm thinking "I have to go see what is sticking out of the ground that he hit". Turns out nope, he just hit a sign post, smack dab center of the deck........Willful destruction of dreams I guess. We laughed.

    ReplyDelete

Tell me what you think

Please leave comments! It is really easy!

You just type your comment in the text box below the post. You can be anyone you want.
And...Would the joker who keeps clicking "offensive" please leave an explanation ?!