I'm sure most of my readers are here for the comments on White tractor repair.
With that in mind I may drone on for ever. (Oh yeah, an ad keyword. Drone! I want a drone. oops off topic again)
My White 2-155 has been plagued with hydraulic leaks and funny noises that sound like pump cavitation. I have never been able to figure out how air was getting into the hydraulic system.
Saturday afternoon I installed a new hydraulic pump and Saturday evening I finally got the tractor running.
It is quiet as can be. No hydraulic noise on startup. No foaming in the hydraulics, no strange squealing noises. The brakes and steering started working right away and this is with most of the hydraulic line empty.
There are two things I have learned.
First, the hydraulic charge pump is on the inside of the transmission case and the same shaft that drives the charge pump drives the main pump. The charge pump is a low pressure pump that supplies fluid the the high pressure piston pump that runs the main hydraulics.
The suction tube feeds a cavity between the main pump and the charge pump. The fluid is sucked into this cavity and then fed through the filter into the charge pump and then through a tube that goes outside the transmission case and into the main pump. (I think this how it works)
There are a number of places that an air lead could cause a lot of problems.
The main hydraulic pump is held on with two half inch bolts that are nearly impossible to reach. One of those bolts was loose when I removed the old pump.
Also, the o-ring and back up rings on the suction line were are hard as rocks. I suspect that there were multiple leaks in the suction line which caused much of my problems.
Second, $1,000 for a new hydraulic pump is not that much money in the scheme of things. You really can't check the condition of the pump unless you have a flow gauge. I tested it using a pressure gauge hooked into hydraulic remotes. Upon activation the pressure spiked at 2,500lbs and then dropped to 2,200. That doesn't show you flow.
We shall see if it now works better.
I did not work on MuddyValley's grader blade.
I understand my brother worked on it and the stuck bolts have proved to be very stubborn. First we tried heating the bolts red hot and letting them cool. We applied a mixture of ATF and Acetone. My brother welded nuts on the bolts and they still broke off. Then he put the part in the drill press and drilled the bolts to use an easy-out.
They are pretty stuck...
And that is my post for Monday Morning...
Please click on my advertisements as I do need that $1.18 per day in revenue.
More dead in Venezuela as violence continues
1 hour ago