We repaired the disk mower and mowed enough for five loads. After four loads I discovered a bearing out in the header of the chopper. I GPSed the field and we had 4 acres left.
Bearing was an easy fix. It gave us time to mow the rest of the field.
This is the best bearing puller in the world. It has a cage that you tighten down which holds the jaws tight against the offending object that must be pulled.
We finished the field at 9:30 p.m. I suppose I could have gotten more on the truck if I would have really tried.
(what do you all think of my post title? Does a triple negative make a positive?)
Now we must do hay!
At Muddy Valley...wonder if there is any way to check the weather at Muddy Valley from here at home? Hmmm....
In a side note: my neighbor was giving me a little crap about taking so long to do the silage. This was not because of our garage sale farm equipment but rather due to the dairy guy not wanting to run long hours and the fact that the fellow who was supposed to bring his truck to help me did not show up. Our usual plan to deal with the dairy fellow's short days is to get three trucks and just swamp him and then I turn off my phone.
This year I rented a truck and my helper and I mowed, chopped, and trucked it all by ourselves. We only had two real breakdowns. There were broken shear pins and blown hydraulic hoses but only that is all in a day's work. Not bad for the first Hesston 1340 sold west of the Rockies, A New Holland 900 rescued off a dairy that had not run for 15 years and a pickup header we dug out of a manure pile. Not to mention the White 2-135 that I got from a fellow because the motor was blown. The 2-155 I actually paid money for.
Bottom feeding at its best!