The Useful Duck!

Contribute to my Vacation, please...

Monday, September 24, 2012

Another lovely Monday Morning

It is 6 a.m. on a Monday morning. We are watching a show on OPB about worm farming...
I am trying to figure out a plan.
1. I have to plant wheat for my neighbor. It is a pretty big job.
2. We must get ready to chop silage
3. We have no truck for hauling silage
4. I need to bring the 2-135 home and hook to the silage chopper
5. I have a truck load of barley that needs to go to a warehouse 10 miles away.
6. I need to call my neighbor about buying a grain bin
7. I need to grind feed
8. I have bales to pick up.
9 We have buckwheat to combine
10. Speaking of buckwheat, there is still alfalfa to cut with the 2-135 before we start silage
11. I have a broken rim on the front of the 2-155 FWA.- I drilled a hole in each end of the crack but I think it is getting worse. The 2-155 is the planter tractor. The steering bushings also appear to be failing. The PTO slips.

There is something wrong with the hydraulic flow control that runs the hydraulic powered pump that applies the fertilizer on my grain drill. I think I have the wrong flow control. I bought it on ebay as a damaged freight return item. It started out as a 30 gpm max 3000lb flow control with a balanced pressure electric feedback control. The computer stuff failed right away and I replaced it with a surplus cartridge I also bought on ebay. So I assume there are some missmatched components. For several years I didn't even have the third return line hooked up. (the line that runs the bypass back to the hydraulic tank)  The problem is in the bypass I think.
When I go out of range with the pump. Meaning when I am going faster than the pump can supply the fertilizer, the pressure goes up to 2,500lbs and the safety valve shuts off the pump. I of course tried it without the pressure valve and it blew up the pump when I accidently ran the pump out of fertilizer and it went overspeed.
I have a Micro-trak Spraymate II which is an automatic rate controller. It has a flow meter and speed sensor and it varies the speed of the hydraulic pump to supply a set rate of fertilizer.
I was going to replace the Fluid Power motorized flow controller with a linear actuator and regular manual hydraulic flow controller but I was worried the manual flow controller would put too much of a load on the linear actuator.
Instead I bought an adjustable pressure relief valve and I thought I would set it to 2200lbs and put it between the motorized flow controller and the fertilizer pump. Then I would remove the return line from the flow control and put that line on the pressure relief valve.
However, the pressure relief valve has yet to arrive.

So, if anyone would care to contribute 1.2 million dollars I would be quite happy...

And for those wondering about the DCM Time Frame 350 speakers, I blew them up.  We were having a nice Sunday dinner and listening to My Favorite Chopin, by Van Cliburn on reel to reel when it started sound funny. I peeked though fabric covering the speaker and the foam surrounds on the left side driver were completely shredded.
I am sure listening to The Legendary Stardust cowboy had nothing to do with it.
Another winter project. Meanwhile, it is a beautiful wreck. They sound ok at a low volume.

2 comments:

  1. Budde, you probably already know this but don't try welding that tractor rim without removing the tire. I don't know why anyone would actually do that but apparently it has been tried with disastrous results.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pNZ4siYGkag&feature=related

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ralph, yeah I've seen the explosion videos. It is right on the bead so it would ruin the tire to weld anyway. Plus the schraeder valve is broken so it has to go into the tire shop. Hope they will remount it after I weld it!
    Going to work on that next

    ReplyDelete

Tell me what you think

Please leave comments! It is really easy!

You just type your comment in the text box below the post. You can be anyone you want.
And...Would the joker who keeps clicking "offensive" please leave an explanation ?!