The Useful Duck!

Contribute to my Vacation, please...

Tuesday, August 28, 2012

Tractor Art and Chicken Feed and straw.

My chicken feed customers are clamoring for more feed. I have not advertised in a year. I must be way too cheap on my feed prices.
I've just finished baling grass straw and have sold it all. The buyer from the major straw/hay export company spent the afternoon driving from field to field with me. It is kind of funny. I suspect that usually when he is driving from field to field the fields are larger than 20 acres and there is more than one stack in each field.
I got less than I hoped for the good stuff and more than I expected for the less than good stuff and it will all be gone soon and I will not have to load out of the barn in the winter time.
I just wish I could keep a bit more of the money...
$20-40 to the farmer, $35-40 for baling/raking, $7-10 for stacking, $1 to me. However at one time I could get three burritos for $1 at the Grand Island store.
The scrapper neighbors went by yesterday with a 49' Buick.
I flagged them down.
I told them that the Buick's final resting place should be under a tree in our pasture and not on a scrap boat to China. They offered to trade for a dead Ranger pickup of which we have four (4). I came pretty close but I had to go rescue my helper who was nearly lost in a giant fillbert orchard while looking for a tiny wheat straw field.
However, my aging neighbor drove by twice looking closely at the Buick and he stopped as soon as the scrapper drove off. Was that an overhead valve straight eight?
"Yes it was," said I.
I have him the scrapper's business card.
Pretty soon the Buick came back and disappeared into one of the huge hay sheds across the road.
The scrapper offered to take a Ranger anyway.
But we are going to fix them all up and drive them some day...
I leave you with tractor art. Just stop for a moment and admire the composition of this photo. Note the avant garde refusal to follow the 1/3-2/3 rule and my excellent cropping of the photo. As they say, "it's all in the frame..." I really have not clue who said that but I'll put quotes around it anyhow.
The old IH on the feed mill. Nothing like a little black diesel smoke against a clear blue sky...

4 comments:

  1. You named your tractor Art? I would have named it Bubba, or Bill.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well it makes my day to hear that a 49 Buick straight 8 was saved from being turned into scrap. I ground a little feed yesterday too. Narrowly averted disaster when the old "50" ran low on oil and lost pressure just before I shut down. Alls well that ends well.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You would think that he could have gotten more on Craig's list of EPay than scrap price. Some people think in a straight line, or rather don't bother to think. Glad the neighbor got it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I named my tractor Art but I am often called "LateForDinner."
    I just could not stand to see the beached whale crushed. I would love to have chopped it even if it was a four door. Actually it would have been fun to drive it in "found" condition but it was really rough. Really only good for a few parts or to turn into a street rod.
    Lowered with a dual carb Edlebrock manifold and moon disk wheel covers but I would have grow out a full beard and gain 200lbs to really do it justice.

    ReplyDelete

Tell me what you think

Please leave comments! It is really easy!

You just type your comment in the text box below the post. You can be anyone you want.
And...Would the joker who keeps clicking "offensive" please leave an explanation ?!