The Useful Duck!

Contribute to my Vacation, please...

Sunday, August 12, 2012

I attempt to bale alfalfa and contemplate another trip to cooler climes

It is going to be hot today. Yesterday we baled annual ryegrass straw and I attempted to bale alfalfa. I say attempted because even though it has been on the ground for almost a week and has been fluffed up every day, it is still not dry.
I double raked it yesterday morning as I was a little worried that you could still strip back the stems on quite a bit of it and I was worried I would miss my baling window between all the leaves shattering off and 24 percent moisture content Saturday evening and I was not going to skip church to bale 10 acres of alfalfa at 11 a.m. Sunday morning.
I was correct.
I went to check on the field right at dark and it was already too wet. I should have figured out the humidity was high due to the volume of water pouring out of the air conditioner on the stacker but yesterday was warm with a wind out of the North East and that means dry air is pouring back into the valley from east of the mountains and it will be hot and dry.
If I would have gone at 8 p.m. I probably could have baled.
I put the hay into big fluffy windrows and I'm hoping it will not bleach out too much. We have been having heavy dew every night.
I am supposed to make another trip to the coast. My wife's family has rented a cabin and I am supposed to go out there after church today.
I am so tired that the idea of driving by myself for a hour there and an hour back does not really sound that appealing, but then again 92 degrees with no breeze and high humidity here is not that appealing either. I actually would rather just be running the stacker. It has good a/c.
I was going to stay home and go to the river with the nephews but watching my helper and his friends drink themselves into a funk is not sounding that great. If my daughter was home I would fix our big inner tube and float down the river.
At least it will be cool at the beach. At 4 p.m. the fog rolls in like a river. I like that...
Perhaps I will bale the alfalfa Monday morning. The center of the windrows should still be nice and green. (I hope)
All this vacation time may make me a Lazy Farmer...

No comments:

Post a Comment

Tell me what you think

Please leave comments! It is really easy!

You just type your comment in the text box below the post. You can be anyone you want.
And...Would the joker who keeps clicking "offensive" please leave an explanation ?!