The Useful Duck!

Contribute to my Vacation, please...

Sunday, July 1, 2012

Sunday afternoon plans and ideas and music playlist

Today is July first. I am setting in my Lazy-Boy which I salvaged from my Uncle who was sending it to the dump. It don't look so good but then neither do I. I think the chair and I are about the same age...
My wife went to visit her friends in the big city (Portland makes me uptight but it is one of those friends from college outings..)
I listening to the Porter Wagoner albums which I found at GoodWill last night. It rained so took my lovely wife out to dinner and on a date to GoodWill last night. I'm a charmer, that is for sure!

Porter Wagoner seems a bit obsessed by wine. The songs or so depressing it is actually laughable. There are no credits on the album I'm listening to right now, "The Bottom of the Bottle." It sounds like the same guitar player who makes his guitar talk on Jeannie C. Riley's, "Mr. Harper."
I think this is Harold Bradley otherwise know as "Shot Jackson," but I have not looked it up. Which is sort of silly as I'm online and GoDuckGo is only a keystroke away...
The daughter is visiting friends and I'm not sure when she will return. I'm hanging out around the house waiting for her. I've been making lists of what I need to accomplish.
I tend to doodle a bit. I tend to wander from subject to subject until I find one random thing to obsess about.
Muddy Valley brought me a really large pressure gauge and a brass thing-a-ma-jigger which has a sprocket and several contacts. I want to turn this into a control panel for the kid's play house. Of course I also want to install a really cool slide which is in the bushes behind the shop. It is now solid enough to use my forklift but there is so much crap in the way I don't think I can reach it.
But, I digress...
I want to build a projection booth. I've missed the prime movie on the neighbor's hay shed season. The days are so long now that the kids end up staying up really late to watch movies. If we watch movies on Saturday night then it is hard to make it to a 9:30 a.m. church service on Sunday.
It has been too cold and rainy to watch movies during the shorter days early in June.
I want to build a simple structure to house the projectors and a few movies so I don't have to lug everything into the house after each showing. If you move the projectors too soon the bulbs fail.
I also worry about the evening dampness and its effect on 80 year-old movies.
The booth needs to have a base that I can pick up with a forklift. The forks are six foot long so there is plenty of room to work with. I want to base it on the simple outhouse design with a roof sloped one direction but I want over  hang around the roof. I would like to have the tall side fold up so it makes a shade and it allows the projectionist to still be part of the audience. This is not essential but it would be nice. The other plan is to also use the booth for selling water bottles at the Amity Tractor Pull which is in our field but which I never attend. A hot July Sunday, the choice is really loud tractors and lots of morons vs a cool river, the kids swimming, and a lawn chair in the shade...
Anyway, here is my design. I had a whole pile of 1"X12" rough cut boards but I gave them to the kids to build a fort. Perhaps I should re-claim them. I was going to build one a couple years ago but I donated the plywood to the daughter's playhouse... I just don't get stuff done...

8 comments:

  1. You want to see how long some of my lists are! Some weekends I find myself writting "write list" as the first item so I have something to cross off!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kev, I have resorted to writing lists in a vain attempt to get some sort of organization in my life. I often then do none of the things on the list and go on a completely different direction.
      But I do keep the lists. My wife thinks I need medication.

      Delete
  2. Don Warden on steel guitar. He was also his business manager.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well thank you very much! But who was the alcoholic? Or was it just clever marketing as everyone knows drunks will spend their very last dime on cheap wine but do their spend their next to the last dime on sentimental/melodramatic country music?
      Perhaps replacement of this genre of music with Rap for young moronic white people has led their dependence on Meth?
      Does culture affect behavior or does individual behavior have an effect on culture? Is that the proper use of the words "affect" and "effect?"

      Delete
  3. Coffee mug from filming "Heart of Iowa" along upper reaches of the Des Moines? Play that on the barn with banjo music and watch bicyclists turn around and hit for Portland. 'Mr. Kurtz, he got ate by a pig.'

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We found the "Heart of Iowa Co-Op" coffee mug in my wife's Great Uncle's house in Windom, Minn., while on our "trip of a life-time." (You may remember that trip!) Failing to find anyone with keys we did find the house and crawled through a window. There we found the remains of his life swept into piles in the middle of the rooms and this coffee mug on his shelf. We stole the mug and picked a few family photos off the floor and were on our merry way.
      I have thought about just broadcasting banjo music sort of like those "silent" pest control devices that were popular some years ago. I wonder if it would also keep away those pesky doves that make such a racket all day long?

      Delete
  4. I wish I had your gift for drawing. I once tried to draw a cartoon combine and my girlfriend at the time (who later became my wife) thought that I was making obscene genitalia drawings! I think I quit trying after that.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Orin, Perhaps it was just wishful thinking on her part. I bet if you tried the drawing again she would think it was a lawn mower!
    My brother is swathing this morning. I was going to help him but I'm drinking coffee instead. After all, I am the lazy farmer...

    ReplyDelete

Tell me what you think

Please leave comments! It is really easy!

You just type your comment in the text box below the post. You can be anyone you want.
And...Would the joker who keeps clicking "offensive" please leave an explanation ?!