The Useful Duck!

Contribute to my Vacation, please...

Saturday, April 14, 2012

I planted 20 acres today

I actually worked. This is my first planting job in a month. I planted 20 acres of peas and fescue. Two rows of peas and one row of fescue. The peas will fix nitrogen and they are a annual crop. The fescue will be harvested for grass seed over the next few years. This was a bit of an experiment.
It of course turned into a much more complicated job than I had expected. Two different seed rates and planting depths and a trip down the highway with the highest accident rate in the State of Oregon.
And 20 acres per day is no world record. I should be able to do 70-100 acres. Of course I had to load some pig feed in the morning and set the drill up and move the drill and the farmer had five different things to mix in the seed.
I was home by 8:30 p.m.
Now I only need to find another 580 acres to plant this spring to make my drill payment. We shall see...

5 comments:

  1. Good going Budde. Some of the big operators around me seed probably 500 acres a day with 60+ foot air drills and multiple outfits. I'll be content to keep my little 28 foot going whenever the ground dries up enough. (Probably not this month). Today I played at working and gave the old International hammer mill a test run. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CzzxmTclK8g

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just do like the old Indian in the movie and "endeavor to persevere," Budd.

    ReplyDelete
  3. When I want it to rain I wash my car. I think you plant a field. Clear skies to you.

    Grace and peace.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ralph, I have thought about selling the 15ft Great Plains and buying a 28 ft Krause no-till but I think I would need more than 150hp in our conditions. Also, I takes a lot more work to clean out a 28ft drill or to fill it with 50lb bags! I do mostly custom planting and most of my planting jobs are 40 acres.

    Gorges, I think I have more in common with the cigarstore Indian.

    Pumice, Actually, I want to go on vacation...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sounds like your getting a good start. And nothing broke. Two positives.
    I wish y'all would quit washing your cars. Done had enough rain down here.

    Bobby

    ReplyDelete

Tell me what you think

Please leave comments! It is really easy!

You just type your comment in the text box below the post. You can be anyone you want.
And...Would the joker who keeps clicking "offensive" please leave an explanation ?!