The Useful Duck!

Contribute to my Vacation, please...

Wednesday, April 4, 2012

I do stuff

Monday evening I drove to the coast to visit my good friend M.
His house developed a leak during the last storm and it made a good excuse to make a quick trip to visit him. Of course Monday was a beautiful day and I was attempting to install the engine in the 2-135.
In the last few years I have gained a lot of experience in pulling engines in and out of White tractors and it is really not that bad a job. Or so I thought. This time nothing would line up. And I had help. And a tractor that would actually lift the engine.
Then a fellow called and told me he was out of ground barley...
At 5:30 p.m. I went home. My helper was inspired by my dedication and worked till 7:30!
When I got to Seal Rock my friend had most of the work done. However, we had a number of heavy boxes and furniture to move.
Some of those heavy boxes turned out to be LP records and they were loaded into the back of my pickup. A friend of his worked in a record store for years and had accumulated a number of old country-western albums.
I listened to a few of them last night. There are some gems. I discovered I do like Mickey Gilley. There are five Boots Randolf albums, "50,000 Elvis Fans Can't be Wrong," (but not in that good a shape) and something like ten (10!) Englebert Humperdink albums. Plus, the Tijuana Brass album that has the girl covered in shaving cream, and every other album you find in the Goodwill record bin, but in perfect shape.
Some Chet Atkins, Oak Ridge Boys, Kenny Rodgers, Glen Campbell, and two Johnny Cash albums-The World of Johnny Cash, and Folsom Prison.
A lot of interesting records but I really don't know what to do with them. They are currently setting in the shop next to my three boxes of reel to reel tapes.
My friend wants me to make him some MP3 recordings but I'm not sure there is much point when CD's are so cheap! I've heard of MP3's as low as ten cents a song. Some of the old stuff I may record for my father-in-law to enjoy in the rest home retirement center.
But, most likely I will never get it done. I have a lot of plans...
My friend is installing heating coils in his floor. That was quite interesting.  I helped put the metals strips down which hold the wires. This is all then covered with grout and tiles will be put down on top. It is supposed to be pretty efficient. His whole house is pretty efficient. It is made out of Styrofoam blocks which have concrete poured though them.
But, I had to go home and grind barley.
My helper had the 2-135 running when I got home at 4 p.m.
Of course the scale would not work.
It kept counting on it's own.
It uses a Microphone connector to connect the scale read out to the load cells. It got wet as the scale sits outside. There were gounding problems and small pins and I lost my temper. I cut off the microphone connector and used Weatherpac connectors. But, I was out of dialectic grease and it poured down rain last night. I suppose I am right back were I started. I will probably have to cut another two inches off the cord and do it all again in a week...
Anyway, off to work I go....

6 comments:

  1. Too bad you didn't get the "50 Phil Ochs Fans Can't be Wrong" album with the collection. Oh and all the Legendary Stardust Cowboy albums.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think I already have "50 Phil Ochs Fans Can't Be Wrong." I will go check... I do need more Legendary Stardust Cowboy albums but they NEVER turn up at GoodWill. Probably because he is so popular.

      Delete
  2. You are getting to be an expert White mechanic. Could there be money in that?
    I have a friend that built a house using the foam blocks. It takes very little to heat or cool it. If I am ever able to afford to build one, that's probably what I would use. Hauling wood into the basement to stoke the fire is getting old now that most of the year is cool and wet.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No...

      The foam block construction has a bit of a learning curve I understand. Works better in dry and cold that constantly wet and mild.

      Delete
  3. My goodness, I recognize everyone of those named records from the goodwill bin. Not sure what that says about me . I too have a record collection here that I never listen to. At least their weight will help hold the house down on a wild windy day like today.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ralph, there was some really interesting and good music in the 1960s. But, I suppose it depends on one's idea of good. I do not like the over produced sound of the Nashville era. I can stand the ladies better than the men. Chet Atkins may be a musical genius but what is up with the background music. I would rather just listen to him play the guitar, alone, no strings, no ladies in the background.
    However, there are amazing album covers...

    ReplyDelete

Tell me what you think

Please leave comments! It is really easy!

You just type your comment in the text box below the post. You can be anyone you want.
And...Would the joker who keeps clicking "offensive" please leave an explanation ?!