The Useful Duck!

Contribute to my Vacation, please...

Wednesday, April 11, 2012

Do it yourself

I don't have a lot of self confidence in certain areas. But...what I find is that I can almost always get what I need done. There is a book somewhere or someone can give me advice. Frequently I find that if I pay someone to do something-they really don't know that much more than I and they don't actually achieve the end result I was hoping for.
Take the kitchen sink as an example.
I figured I would screw it up and annoy my wife so I hired a friend/handyman sort of fellow to do it for me. The problem is that he is too expensive. Now I can't really complain as I am not paying him in real money.
He installed the sink very nicely. There are no leaks and the plumbing is measured correctly and there is no use of JB weld or baler twine to hold up long runs of pipe.
However...
The pressure is actually worse than it was before.
And the hot water heater doesn't work.
We got in a little bit of an argument over installing the on demand hot water heater.
His premise was that the heater should be fed from the cold water to save money. If you run the on-demand hooked into the hot water line then you have to run the main tank to heat the water you are not using and that water will go into the lines and cool off and then you are paying twice to heat the water.
My premise was that instant hot water would save so much on flow that the amount of energy lost in the lines would not matter.
The real argument should have been- If you run a line from the cold water though a water heater and then into the hot water there will be no flow as the pressure is balanced. AND if you have 1/2" lines to the water heater, even though you step down to 1/2 OD tubing from the valve to the sink on the main hot water it will still flow out of the main line as there is less resistance .
I knew that was the problem but got into a stupid argument about energy savings on the hot water bill. This means I still have to redo the on-demand hot water heater and I don't know what happened to all my fittings and he used these little tiny fittings and I just want it done.
That is why I hired someone else to begin with.
I can't really complain as he was just doing me a favor anyway and a real plumber probably would not have done what I wanted anyway as it is probably some sort of code violation.
If someone would just give me 1.2 million dollars it would all be an academic discussion and you would all be entertained by tales of how Nigerian scammers and tractor salesmen were trying to swindle me out of my money...
Speaking of tractor salesman, one apologized to me yesterday. He sold my neighbor a brand spanking new IH six-row corn planter.  All the neighbors seem to be discovering rowcrops. I suppose those of us who have been growing row crops for years should discover annual ryegrass or wheat to solve our problems of disillusionment.
However, I don't really like doing custom corn planting. I find it way too stressful.
I did notice that the main difference between the 2012 corn planter and our 1980 something White 5100 was in the linkage on the row units. However, as my other neighbor with the JD 7400 explained. He went to a lot of trouble to get those parallel bars loose. IT allows the row units to follow the strip-tiller rows!!!
My question would be- How many acres of corn does it take to pay for a new 6-row planter. And, if you have that much corn, should you not buy a 12 row?
I don't think he can plant beans (green beans for eating) as there is no way to use a splitter to get 20" row spacing. However, he may plan on moving the row units.
Oh well, it looked nice...
If I would have been clever I would have bought a 5 year old White planter and outfitted it the Ed Winkle/Martin way, hooked it up the G1000 Vista and been a corn planting fool...
I think I drifted from the original topic. Actually not... If I would not have screwed up the guy's corn by letting him talk me into planting into too wet soil, with a piece of crap monitor, I would not have lost the planting job and he would not have purchase a new planter.
Bottom line... If you want it done right, do it yourself!

5 comments:

  1. If the on-demand heater has enough power to heat cold water through a 1/2" pipe(which I would have my doubts about)Just feed the instant heater from the cold line and disconnect the hot line from the sink from the main hot water heater. Use 1/2" copper all the way. Otherwise, run it through the hot water line as you mentioned. Chances are that the power it takes to instantly heat a 1/2" cold flow of water to a decent temperature will cost about the same as waiting for it to get there from the main tank and I bet the instant heater can't do it anyway. That's probably why the line is reduced in size so much. I'd get a mini (RV) hot water heater & stick it under the sink in line with the other hot water heater line. Probably cost the same. Return the instant heater or eBay it. Easy for me to say huh? But I don't really have the slightest idea of what's really there so I can afford to give useless advice. I'm not a plumber, but I've played one.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Budde, hooked one up on the cold water line. An electric one. Figured I'd only use a cup or two of hot water at a time. Didn't want to have to heat new water coming into the main water heater.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Muddy, it is a 2 gallon heater, but the fact is I want my wife to have instant hot water. It probably won't work. I shouldn't wonder...

    Bobby, Yes-but I how does it work if you plumb it back into the hot water line without disconnecting the connection to the main hot water heater? Otherwise the least restriction would be on the main hot water line. Or at least that is how it works with mine.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Making certain your kitchen countertops you determine to set up is 1 in which lasts providing you carry out is no exaggeration. House redesigning is often a time intensive, and will probably be considered a fiscally wearing method that may very easily leave your individual quite let down within the event the job isn’t truly near ideal.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Budde, had to go back and look to make sure how mine is connected. I shut the cold water valve at the sink, removed the faucet line and inserted a "T" and then reconnected the faucet line and attached the new heater line to the other side of the "T".
    Didn't have to kill water to the house or mess with the house heater. Wife has instant HOT water.

    ReplyDelete

Tell me what you think

Please leave comments! It is really easy!

You just type your comment in the text box below the post. You can be anyone you want.
And...Would the joker who keeps clicking "offensive" please leave an explanation ?!