The Useful Duck!

Contribute to my Vacation, please...

Sunday, February 5, 2012

The Harry Truman School of Disaster Preparedness

I've been reading Gorges' Grouse and Surviving in Argentina and I am starting to get a little overwhelmed.
I am thinking about starting my own school of emergency preparedness and call it the Harry Truman School of Disaster Preparation. (HTSDP)
Harry Truman is the local folk hero who refused to be evacuated from Mt. St. Helens before she blew. I watched the Mountain blow and thought of Mr. Truman, but that was before the neighbor built a series of huge hay barns movie screens blocking our view of Mt. Saint Helens and Mt. Hood.
I think it all ended pretty well for him and his cats. Or at least it ended well for Mr. Truman. He was obliterated by a avalanche of ash and toxic gasses. His cats probably boiled to death but Mr. Truman was already pickled. They had a well stocked bar at the Spirit Mountain lodge and his plan was preserve himself by pickling in alcohol.
Those statements have been somewhat glossed over in the official narratives...
I am also thinking that instead of firearms and knives I should install motion activated speakers which play "My underwear froze to the clothesline," when intruders approach the house.
Instead of a tazer I will just carry a boombox playing James White and the Contortions.
Sort of my own little force field...
But, I digress...
I give you the ballad of Harry Truman-grumpy mean old codger and possible former gangster


6 comments:

  1. He had a good name for a fiesty old codger! Keep an eye on my blog, Budd; the next post will be just for you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I went to the grocery store on 12/31/99 (or was it 12/31/1999?) and the bottled water shelves were bare. There was, however, plenty of beer. I stocked up on beer.

    I read a family of 3 mushroom hunters near Gold Beach spent 6 nights lost in the woods just 500 yards from the road. They didn't have any matches or lighters, and they didn't have any beer.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I bet they wished for beer! Or a compass or a map or a GPS or that they hadn't sampled so many of the mushrooms growing on the cowflops or that they were somewhere else.

    ReplyDelete
  4. best thing i've seen in a while. outstanding. the song got the dogs to howlin'
    ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you very much. Have been enjoying your blog.

      Delete

Tell me what you think

Please leave comments! It is really easy!

You just type your comment in the text box below the post. You can be anyone you want.
And...Would the joker who keeps clicking "offensive" please leave an explanation ?!