The Useful Duck!

Contribute to my Vacation, please...

Monday, January 30, 2012

I annoy my family with easy listening music

Below is a photo of my pristine Sony TC-230 reel to reel. I say "pristine" with some reservations. It looks good and was well taken care of. But, it is 40 some years old and it was well used.
I wanted it because it has a phono stage and I thought I could use it to record scratchy 78 rpm records and 45s to my computer. However, my 78 rpm record player has a ceramic cartridge and that requires a different preamp and one thing led to another and it all got complicated and now i don't really care all that much anymore. I do need to take it apart and do some more cleaning and lubrication. I usually do this late at night when everyone is sleeping. I like to use the Old number seven cleaning fluid with a lot of ice. This does not help the reel to reel as much as it helps me.
I have a number of boxes of reel to reel tapes and have been listening to them. The family has demanded a stop to it all. It would appear that they do not care for the genre of music that includes "Leaving On a Jet Plane, Bridge over Trouble Waters, or the theme from "Midnight Cowboy," set to strings and lots of lady back up singers.
Well, perhaps I should clarify that. They don't care for 120 uninterrupted minutes of such exquisite stylings.
It is interrupting the Hogan's Heros marathon that is now the sound track of our life. "I know nothing..." (I have been trying to get the annoying Austrian fellow who sometimes buys hay from me to say, "I know nothing." I ask him questions he doesn't know the answer to or ask him for opinions about weird subjects but he refuses to bite.)
Anyway, here is the current object of my affections...

5 comments:

  1. Might be marketable as the Lazy Farmer's version of Doctor Who's TARDIS, shape shifting 1960's British police box Time and Relative Dimension in Space machine.

    Repurpose an old elevator car and flood it with an endless loop of your reel to reel easy listening repertoire. Think of the possibilities: if the Hockey League installed your improved penalty box, fights on the ice would end overnight. And the family version would have small children asking 'please, may I have more delicious spinach?'

    ReplyDelete
  2. But watch out your family doesn't banish you to the prototype. Best not to whistle Moon River while Shultz is seeing nozzink.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey, I see a toy red tractor on the shelf. Sorry, I am a bit attention deficit at times. It must be 40 years since I touched a reel to reel tape machine. Surprisingly enough (for me)I no longer own the one I had back then. I'm still hesitating at crossing the digital divide when it comes to storing music.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Remind the family that the schlocky music can always be replaced by the "cowboy in pain" albums.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Collieguy, I think it falls under unreasonable punishment! If only he had recorded some arse singing moon river. Then it would be a novelty album.

    Ralph, It is actually a Minneapolis-Moline model U made from the old molds by the grandson of Norbert Spinner of the Slik Toy Company.

    Muddy, they reminded me that my stereo collection could go to Goodwill

    ReplyDelete

Tell me what you think

Please leave comments! It is really easy!

You just type your comment in the text box below the post. You can be anyone you want.
And...Would the joker who keeps clicking "offensive" please leave an explanation ?!