The Useful Duck!

Contribute to my Vacation, please...

Saturday, January 28, 2012

Care to discuss Faulkner?

The Left Bank of the Charles guy got me off onto a whole different train of thought this morning and as a result I was late for doing my hay and feed and now I'm eating lunch at 3 p.m. which is really coffee break time. Of course it had nothing to do with the topic of his post...
He had a wonderful quote from William Faulkner which says a lot about life. I've thought the same thought in a different context. It is sort of like the guy who jumped off the bridge and said he had 30 seconds to think about why he didn't want to die and why he wished he hadn't done that. But, that one moment between anticipation and regret was something else!
I can't imagine walking across that field into the Yankee guns but I guess I do it every spring... No wonder I'm an emotional wreck...

4 comments:

  1. I have almost resigned myself to voting for ANYONE running against King Barrack. As for Faulkner, when he was good he was very good, too often, though, I think he was over-rated.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Interesting co-incidence,yesterday a friend from way down south sent me this link to a video of some Civil War vets and I learned a little more than I knew about Pickett's Charge. http://www.schooltube.com/video/a088eb35599e46dd5552/Civil-war-veteran-soldi

    ReplyDelete
  3. Time for a new organization, Farmers for Faulkner. I might suggest reading C.S. Lewis though.

    Grace and peace.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I first tried to read Faulkner in college, and gave up on the first part of The Sound and the Fury, but I think you have to reach middle age to truly appreciate him.

    The farmer perspective on Faulkner's The Sound and Fury: how heartbreaking for the Compson family to sell their pasture land to send Quentin to Harvard only for him to kill himself, wasting both the education and the more importantly the pasture.

    ReplyDelete

Tell me what you think

Please leave comments! It is really easy!

You just type your comment in the text box below the post. You can be anyone you want.
And...Would the joker who keeps clicking "offensive" please leave an explanation ?!