The Useful Duck!

Contribute to my Vacation, please...

Thursday, September 29, 2011

My usual life story...

I need a couple classes in farm management. I wonder if Ed Winkle has thought of developing a correspondence course in farming.
We have a little clover to combine and a little buckwheat to combine and a couple truckloads of barley to deliver and a little ground to work and a little silage to chop and after October 15th I have wheat to plant for several neighbors.
It looks like rain...for a week...
I needed to get some ground ready to plant alfalfa and then I needed to plow 30 acres. I wanted to get the 30 acres worked so I would get a sprout from the coming rain.
I was on my way with the 2-155 last night but got called on to help set up dad's printer. We figured it was time to fix his printer as he told us he had a dream where it worked and it was a good dream...
My dad's "I have a dream" speech was not so much about social issues, but it was compelling.
By the time the printer was working it was dark and I was hungry and I thought I'd just get started in the morning.
This morning I started the tractor (not as early as I had planned) but then my helper arrived and I had a cup of coffee and discussed what we were doing today. When I walked back to the tractor I noticed a larger than normal drip and a larger than normal puddle of oil.
So, I wiggle the hose that is dripping...
Suddenly the hose exploded sending a spray of hydraulic oil at 2,200lbs of pressure under the dash of my tractor. The power steering line had blown.
This required removal of the hoods, fuel tank, cab floor, and a trip to town for fittings rated over 2,400lbs of pressure.
Then I discovered the cab mounting bushings had failed.
Then there was a wiring problem.
I did just get it all back together and started the tractor. No leaks so far.
I am very thankful that steering line didn't fail about the time I hit that mailbox last week, or on Hwy 18 or going over that steep hill. I would not have wanted to do this job alongside the highway.

4 comments:

  1. There might be a market for a Dad-proof printer. I could personally use a Mom-proof app for the iMac. Maybe a forced pause with the theme from dragnet and the question "Do you really want to do that?"

    Magnificent timing on the blown hose. I would have been loading hogs at 95 degrees in July with a trucker waiting.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That hose job sounds like an all day job! No fun at all.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Just one question....was the tank full? Seems like everytime we have to pull a fuel tank, it's full.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Collieguy, I keep telling myself that it keeps his mind active and him out of the rest home. There were many locations where that blown hose would have been a bit of a problem!

    Muddy, But I fixed my lights!

    Orin, Oh yeah, it was full enough to almost fill a 55 gallon drum! Today I found another leaking hose under the cab and had to remove the floor again. At least the cab is now clean!

    ReplyDelete

Tell me what you think

Please leave comments! It is really easy!

You just type your comment in the text box below the post. You can be anyone you want.
And...Would the joker who keeps clicking "offensive" please leave an explanation ?!