The Useful Duck!

Contribute to my Vacation, please...

Tuesday, September 13, 2011

I plant clover

I had a frustrating day. I went to do my first planting job of the season. I underbid the price. I forgot my special seed-o-meter made by a guy named dave. I like people named Dave. They are mostly nice guys...
But, I digress...
I was supposed to plant Red Clover at 15lbs per acre. I went by the Great Plains drill chart. We couldn't find much seed but the seed gate thing was pretty far open. At the end of six acres I checked the bin level and it had not gone down enough for 15lbs per acre. So I opened it up a bit. I finally ended up with a setting that should have given me almost 30lbs per acre and I ended up doing 15 acres over again. I didn't even take the pickup as it was supposed to be a three hour job. It took six...
There were a few other frustrations that I don't need to get into.
I had a discussion with someone about farmers and farm subsidies and how we are growing crops that could be imported cheaper from other countries. Like those apples picked green in China last year and put in a container with a little phostoxin to kill the bugs and shipped on a slow boat ripen...
I hate being broke and kind of a pathetic sort of farmer. I know why the Gorgesgrouse fellow quit his sawmill.
On the other hand my home built GPS worked really well for replanting what I previously covered. I ran pretty much blind as I could not see a difference in color between what had to be replanted and where I had just been. The FarmerGPS program worked very well and the POS windows tablet didn't lock up once.

I finished up around dark and didn't want to bring the tractor and drill down the highway in the dark. So I borrowed the farmer's pickup and came home early.
I opened up my iBook and thought I'd check some blogs and soon found someone who has a reason to be depressed. Perhaps I'll make another post.

2 comments:

  1. Just remember.....I cried because I had no shoes
    until I saw a man who had no feet. We sometimes feel that we have a bad day or wish
    our life was better...be if we truly take a look
    around we can always be thankful for what we have even the small joys in life, like the nice
    fall smell in the air..reminds me of football games and baked potatoes in the ground by the
    FFA boys to eat or keep your hands warm! Or don't think I am perfect, I do my share of daily comments about things, I just try each morning to start fresh....take care like your
    blog..

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous, mmmm baked potatoes...I don't like football, thanks for the comment, blogging is at times whining-or at least it is for me.

    ReplyDelete

Tell me what you think

Please leave comments! It is really easy!

You just type your comment in the text box below the post. You can be anyone you want.
And...Would the joker who keeps clicking "offensive" please leave an explanation ?!