The Useful Duck!

Contribute to my Vacation, please...

Friday, July 29, 2011

A shadow of my farmer self...



I've been working ground off and on for the last couple days. It is not as much fun as it used to be. Working dirt is kind of like playing with Tonka Trucks or toy tractors on a much larger scale.
Knowing that you are using 8 gallons an hour of $3.87 diesel kind of kills the joy...
Frankly, I think the economic problems are due to the price of fuel and that any economic renewal plan should take that into consideration.
On two fronts: 1. The price is too high.  2. We need an alternative to fossil fuel from the crazy people.
But, that was not what I wanted to talk about, in fact I have no idea what I started this post about.
I was listening to them talk about the economy on the radio and it is depressing. Not a single fellow involved has worked a day in his life. The females are all shrill and seemed to have all grown up on affirmative action or being told they were much smarter than they really are. Oh, same thing... (No offense to those who had to work twice as hard as their coworkers to get ahead)
I think Our Dear Leader should make a speech calling for a balanced economy. One based on agriculture, industry, and some other important category. Stress self reliance and "sustainability," and call for everyone to pull together. Then fire his jobs czar who is moving the 110 year old GE x-ray plant to China and tell everyone to buy local.
The whining and crying would be incredible. (I think the term is wailing and knashing of teeth)
But, people would start spending money.
So what if the big businesses fail, they are outsourcing everything overseas anyway.
Of course we all know "They" don't think that way and are so "owned" by "those" who got them in power it couldn't be done.
Second major thought, what is the amazing kool-aid they give you at the university that causes everyone who attends to define themselves by the their first marxist professor or Cliff's notes edition of "Catcher in the Rye." Good grief I listened to Bob Dylan and read that book about Monkey Wrenching, and the other one about how to be a revolutionary and I moved on.
Of course I also read James Joyce and look what stream of consciousness has done for me.
ADDHD
The sky is blue...
Oh no! I'm turning into a giant bug....
No, that was Kafka. I like Kafka, feels like my life...

Speaking of the absurd-I just noticed my daughter is dressing like her Wii avatar. I'm going to have to ask her about his. Short pants, t-shirt, stocking hat. I think it is even the same color. What goes on in their heads? What does she think? How does she interpret the world? I can talk to her and never know her but I see the wheels turning, the computer in her head. I just don't know... Banjo music, that is the key. Banjo and the Ledge. She is learning to play guitar... I tried to get her to sing "standing in the trash can thinking of you," and she told me to "go away..."
Here is a photo of her Wii avatar driving the M670 tedding hay. No, wait, it really is her.

10 comments:

  1. Hard to believe there's a song named "standing in the trash can thinking of you", and even harder to believe I listened to it. It's bound to be on his "Best of" album.

    ReplyDelete
  2. $3.87 is cheap, compared to France's $8.50/US gallon at the pump for gas... ^-^
    Yeah, I agree it's expensive, but on the other hand, most farmers grow oil of a kind, for instance soybeans, and biodiesel is so ridiculously easy to make in your backyard, that farmers really have no excuse complaining about the price.

    And you'd have soap for life, with all the glycerin by-product... ^-^

    ReplyDelete
  3. I still enjoy working ground. In spite of the fuel cost and the preachings of the zero till universe that label me inefficient and a contributor to greenhouse gas and climate change.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ralph is right. I think there's something about the smell of fresh-turned soil that says all is right with the world.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It could be worse. Your daughter might have here stocking hat on backwards. Or even worse, you might be able to tell.

    The kool aid they dish out in college is only accepted because of the pablum that has been given out since kindergarten. By the time I get them in seventh grade they have already been taught the joys of mindlessness.

    Grace and peace.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yesterday's five o clock shadow. Very nice!
    What Chimel said. You could be growing soy to make fuel, to grow soy, to make fuel, to grow soy to make fuel, to run the matter transmitter to try to get your head back from the fly. Better yet, grow corn. At least you could drink you fuel.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Bobby, it is hard to believe you actually listened to the whole thing!

    Chimel, but I still complain. There is a little more to the biofuel than what they say in the adverts for the China presses...

    Ralph, As one who make their living from no-till...I shall make no comment.

    Georges, yes

    Pumice, pretty depressing is it not?

    Muddy, I like chinese food. Perhaps I could grow soy sauce? Who in the neighborhood has a blue and white piper cub and likes to do areobatics. Do you know where your wife is?

    ReplyDelete
  8. It looks somewhat like a Cub, but it's blue and yellow. An Interstate S1-a. Google it.
    Is that your stacker on Hill road? Looked like your #1 hand resting on a bale there.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Obama isn't moving GE's x-ray business to China. GE is…

    ReplyDelete
  10. Muddy, so you have seen it as well? Not me.

    Anonymous, did I say Obama was moving GE to China?

    ReplyDelete

Tell me what you think

Please leave comments! It is really easy!

You just type your comment in the text box below the post. You can be anyone you want.
And...Would the joker who keeps clicking "offensive" please leave an explanation ?!