The Useful Duck!

Contribute to my Vacation, please...

Monday, July 18, 2011

Random shallow thoughts and a song from the 1980's.

I was going to write about farming. Farming stories get the most hits and seem to be picked up and referenced by other blogs. But, this morning my farming post disappeared into the "ether" and I've been a bit morose.
I suppose if I really deeply cared about blog exposure I would read and comment on more blogs. This started out as me talking to myself and to some extent, collieguy, because collieguy is a very interesting person who does interesting things and I never seem to be able to hear what he says on the telephone.
Which is because I'm going deaf in one ear...
But, i digress.
I have been following the writings of a blogger who is kind of an amazing person. I found her by accident a couple times and eventually bookmarked her. I follow privately as I think I would annoy her. Anyway, she hitch hiked across Mexico when she was something like 18 and has sort of wandered around the world taking photos along the way. She is also a heroin addict.
She has found her soul mate and they moved to Chicago to start a new life. They were doing quite well, the usual struggles, but really moving along in life. I checked her blog Sunday and she is back to heroin.
It makes the blog interesting but I feel sad.
Can we never change our lives? Does your average person recover from addiction or do we just base our hopes on the exceptions? It doesn't have to be heroin, at least that is a good excuse, it can just be the same little loose circuit in your thinking where repeat your same cycle of failure over and over again.
I had been listing to some interesting 78 rpm records Muddy Valley gave me to record for him. I got tired of changing them so I switched turntables and played an LP. For some reason I pulled out the Georgia Satellites which I liked in college, other than that stupid free milk and a cow song which didn't age so well.
The song I was listening to was "Every Picture Tells a Story," which is a cover of the only Rod Stewart song I can stand to listen to.
In listening to the lyrics it seems that it is a compilation of coming of age cliche's. Rome and Paris and Asian women, but somehow it works.
Well, I couldn't find the video on youtube so that screws up that shallow thought. I guess you just do what you do in life. One step in front of the other and that is how it goes. People looked pretty stupid in the 1980's.
I met a girl at Panama City beach who were from Athens, Georgia and they said the Georgia Satellites were a really good bar band. She smoked those funny little cigars and her and her friends gave me a ride to the Atlanta airport. Along the way we ran out of gas and a Florida Highway Patrol officer gave me a ride to a gas station and back and complimented me on my choice of travel companions. I was such a rube. Since then I've just come to accept it...
But, i digress once more.
Someone else can gives us a lecture about God and prayer and fate and just random crap that we attempt to make into a string of connected evens. That is why I have a comments section...
If anyone is interested I got 751 bales rain on and I have 20 acres of hay not baled and it has now had a good half inch of rain on it.

Update, addition, Note, Whatever- Somewhere I got off subject and missed the point of the song. I didn't think of it until I read Gorges' comment. It wasn't about the girls it was about what the guy learned. It also has to do with the philosophy of the song I posted.
The conclusion of the song is the result of his search for meaning in life. He says that he can't quote poets of philosophers but he has learned the answer is to, "make the best out of the bad and just laugh it off,"
Because, "you didn't have to come here anyway."
And I like that last line. Perhaps I'm not understanding the song, but so what, it is just a stupid pop song, the thing is-you didn't have to do it. You made your choice accept the results and move on.
It is better put in Kipling's poem, "If" which can be found in a previous post somewhere on this blog.




4 comments:

  1. Probably no hay here this week for the neighbors; it's supposed to be showers all week. Think I'll go chase the Rome, Paris and Asian women experience and write it off as a midlife crisis. So what if my midlife came and went many years ago!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gorges, I forgot most of my point with the post. The conclusion of the song is results of his search for meaning in life. He says that he can't quote poets of philosophers but he has learned the answer is to,
    "make the best out of the bad and just laugh it off,"
    because,
    you didn't have to come here anyway..." Perhaps I'll put that back up in the post.
    As for your post midlife crisis, I recommend just listening to some fiddle music...

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've heard of the satellites but never became an enthusiast. Haying and heat seem to go together. The humidity and temp must be close to matching here in Sask. Way too hot for me.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ralph, It is not all that hot here but the humidity is very high. I ran the silage chopper over some hay that was to nasty to bale. I hit a bump and the A/C drain hose came loose on the 2-155. Water poured out onto the dash. The same with running the stacker the other day. I drove it home and just barely running the A/C it produced volumes of water. Dadburned global warming...

    ReplyDelete

Tell me what you think

Please leave comments! It is really easy!

You just type your comment in the text box below the post. You can be anyone you want.
And...Would the joker who keeps clicking "offensive" please leave an explanation ?!