The Useful Duck!

Contribute to my Vacation, please...

Saturday, February 19, 2011

I record more stuff and ramble on about nothing in particular

I am having a blast with this new turntable. I have a really crappy and cheap setup. Somewhere I found these little Jensen box speakers and now have them hooked to my Optimus (Radio Shack) 1 watt amp.
What I find amazing is that the sound is not horrible. I am limited in volume as it is 10:30 at night and I'm setting in my easy chair with ice on my back and cracked ribs. I'm listening to the Smithereens, Especially For You, album from the 1980's and I am really surprised at the details I can hear in the music.
I saw them at the Starry Nite when I was in college. I thought it was funny that they were so old. Somewhere I have the t-shirt which I plan on giving my daughter so she can be hip. Wrong values to communicate to her I am sure.

Here is another track from the Humans. A cover of "Pipeline," which I am sure was done by the Ventures. I think they do it justice. Blogger won't let me post an mp3 so I threw in random photos to make a quick low bandwidth movie.

Here is a photo of the setup... This is my mess of a bookshelf and reflects in no way upon my wife's housekeeping skills but does reflect well upon her patience with her husband...




I really need to do some tidying up of my "study." It looks pretty bad in photos!
I sold some feed to some non native speakers from Portland today. They appeared to be Eastern European. They didn't like it very well. They wanted whole wheat and what I thought was whole wheat turned out to be 200lbs of nice wheat on top of barley hulls and cracked kernels from the bottom of the cleaner. It looks ok when it is mixed up but it is not clean seed wheat by any means. They asked me to cut the price I said no. They started to leave. "I thought, you sucker's drove all the way from Portland for a ton of feed and you are going to turn around and go home. Go ahead and see if you can find it cheaper cause you can't. And that is a 1000lb bad (750 more likely) and not a 2000lb bag. So you've been getting screwed."
They turned around and came back and got a 55 gallon drum. I knocked off $5 and I shook the drum good to make sure it was full. Sure I will cut the price if I feel like it, but only if I feel like it.
Now I know how the nice young lady with the reel to reel feels. She emailed me that she found 30 more tapes, and the base for my turntable. Only a select few reel to reels are worth more than $45 bucks in a box. The good ones then jump in value to over $200, but only the good ones. The same is true with tape. Only the really high quality tape is worth money. So, consumer brand black sealed tape is perhaps $2 if it sells on ebay but quality brings over $10.
My ice pack is warm and the record has ended so I will go to bed.
If this blog disappears you know that if have infringed on copyright laws...

1 comment:

  1. Better watch it, Budd. You might be cutting into the record sales of those now defunct groups!

    ReplyDelete

Tell me what you think

Please leave comments! It is really easy!

You just type your comment in the text box below the post. You can be anyone you want.
And...Would the joker who keeps clicking "offensive" please leave an explanation ?!