The Useful Duck!

Contribute to my Vacation, please...

Wednesday, February 23, 2011

The engine is in the White!

My brother overhauled the 3-speed and got it back together yesterday. Today I just went out and installed it. It didn't appear that it was going to stop raining and snowing and I figured cold water running off the roof and down my back was kind of like putting an ice pack on it, so I fired up the old M670 and lifted the engine in.
This was one of the smoothest installations I've done. This is assuming that I didn't put something in wrong and I have to take it out again. I installed the 3 speed first. I put a block between the bottom of the transmission and the tractor frame and it slid right in. I had to get my brother to help getting it all lined up but engine installations are a two person job anyway. Next I hooked up to the engine. I set up some wood blocks to guide the engine in and not pinch any oil lines. My brother heard the tractor start up again and came to help. I had the engine sitting in the frame by then and it was just a matter of one person pushing and the other using a pry bar to turn the engine over to line up the splines.

The tedious work begins tomorrow when i attempt to shim the engine so it is level in the frame.

My helper didn't get the radiator blown out and cleaned and there are some hoses that need to be replaced. I also have to get the tachometer rebuilt and a new tach cable which somehow I forgot to do.

3 comments:

  1. Glad it went smoothly! You are way tougher than I am. I am impressed.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good work Budde. You have almost inspired me to get out and working on that exhaust manifold gasket replacement job on my Magnum that I've been putting off since last spring. But at -25 this morning I think I'll give it another day or so.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I had to get something done... Afterwards, I sat in my chair and listened to Johnny Cash-I walk the line, Beachboys-Endless Summer, Sarah Vaughn, The Tom-Tom Club-Under the Boardwalk, The Tailgators, and Bob Marley-Exodus, on my new old turntable. Somewhere in between I read my daughter a chapter of "The Magicians Nephew," and chased the cat with our new RC helicopter.
    Mixing musical genres often leaves me slightly confused. I have never actually listened to Endless Summer Before...

    ReplyDelete

Tell me what you think

Please leave comments! It is really easy!

You just type your comment in the text box below the post. You can be anyone you want.
And...Would the joker who keeps clicking "offensive" please leave an explanation ?!