The Useful Duck!

Contribute to my Vacation, please...

Friday, February 11, 2011

Blog traffic

If I don't post every day my blogger stats plummet. I can skip two days, but on the third hits are down and by the fourth it is dead.
I don't know who is signed up for auto alerts so perhaps people get emails when The Lazy Farmer is updated.
I sometimes wonder where to go with this blog.
I have some funny local stories but I can see there are a number of local people who are viewing this blog. I suppose I could find out by writing those stories and seeing who stops waving at me from one day to the next. I imagine anyone local is from the days when I published The Daily Strumpet, (everyone's favorite irregular newspaper- the irregular newsletter for irregular people). Speaking of, I should be doing a special edition for George D. who is dying as we speak. He was a regular subscriber. It is really bringing me down that all the interesting old folks are picking this year to die.
But, I digress...
I started this blog to collect my no-till info and to rant into the ether and didn't really count on regular readers. So, I have not promoted.
It would seem that to promote a blog you need to spend an hour a day commenting on other people's blogs. You need to pay a lot of attention to key words. You need to keep posts fairly short and have pictures. (Of course the latter is a general rule of journalism.)
Gorges and the Griper commented on my post of a day ago which had a short comment about generating blog traffic.
I like to get comments and I kind of like complaints, especially from people I don't know so that I can unleash my pent up sarcastic bile. (Of course then I later feel bad about it and think I was too hard on them.)
So, I don't want a blog with hundreds of followers and no comments.
It is really quite interesting.
Of course it is also quite humbling. There are a million bloggers with not that much to say. I suppose I'm luck to have 32 people who say they care!
I'm going to go drill wheat. I wonder why they call it drilling? A grain drill is not a drill. It slices a furrow and drops seed into the furrow. There is no drilling involved, except where I added lights. I did drill a hole for that.

6 comments:

  1. I spend about an hour-and-a-half a day doing "blog work," even though I only promise to try posting twice a week. I enjoy it, primarily because of other folks out there, but it IS a chore for a working man and I think we all wonder just when the point of diminishing return kicks in.

    ReplyDelete
  2. " I wonder why they call it drilling? A grain drill is not a drill." That is most odd- we drill
    for oil, the dentist has one, there is the old brace & bit, cordless and they even put them in a press.
    ..unless it relates to the straight lines of a military drill, I guess I'm dumber than a 5th Grader, cuz I have no idea. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Budde, I'm not even sure how to get auto alerts. I just check on my dashboard every day to see which of the bloggers I follow have a new post. Most days you do not disappoint me. I'm not even sure why I started blogging. Maybe I crave attention (feedback)? Seems to me originally I wanted to put a little family history out there on the net in hopes of connecting with unknown distant relatives.(and I did with one through this blog).
    http://nevardblog.blogspot.com/
    Its only certain days that I am inspired to post anything. Maybe one of these days I'll gather all those posts together and publish a book. ":-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Don't worry about promoting it. Just write when you get a chance.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I like blogs where people comment and as such have been luck to have a dedicated group of followers. Especially when I don't always get time to comment on their blogs.
    When people comment then you have a discussion and it is not just talking to the "ether." I think it makes a better blog.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for telling me about the drill. My grandfather plowed a few acres in Ga. but I was only on the farm a few weeks in the summer and xmas. Didn't get to learn as much as I would have liked. I did learn how to throw hay bales into a wagon and then into a loft.
    Maybe you can add more technical details like this into you blog. Then I wouldn't have to actively search out these facts.
    You do have a certain style/flair in your writing.
    It is understandable. Keep it up.

    ReplyDelete

Tell me what you think

Please leave comments! It is really easy!

You just type your comment in the text box below the post. You can be anyone you want.
And...Would the joker who keeps clicking "offensive" please leave an explanation ?!