The Useful Duck!

Contribute to my Vacation, please...

Thursday, January 13, 2011

I'm worried about the old 2-155 White

I got the transmission out. I did not have it all set up to come right out last night. There is a short PTO shaft that goes through the three-speed into the main transmission. I thought it had come loose from the hub on the engine. It did not.
I had to slide the engine back onto the transmission and then remove the engine and transmission as one unit. It pretty much stretched the lifting capacity of the M670 and the old Swartz loader.


Then I got the three-speed apart. I am worried.
There is a planetary drive in the transmission. The planetary gears had worn 1/4" into the housing and had actually cracked the housing. It was ready to grenade.

What worries me is that there appears to be wear fore and aft. Like the center shaft was moving back and forth somehow. I don't know if that means there is a problem in the main transmission or if that is just from the planetary going out.
AGCO parts are so stinking expensive. You must understand this is not a $50 part you are looking at. More like $500 to $1000 or perhaps more.
I have another light duty three-speed and could get additional one for $200. I'm debating about putting the light duty in. The planetary drive is the same in both but the clutch pack is heavier. Or at least that is what it looks like just going by the part numbers.
I really wish I could afford a tractor with lower hours. I think this tractor has about 5,000 more hours than the tach reads.
Sometimes I suspect that I may have taken a wrong turn somewhere in my life...

6 comments:

  1. Bummer. Glad you had the good sense to park it when you found the metal chips. Some of us aren't always so wise.

    Two bone-headed questions:
    1.Could you swap the planetary from one of the LD units into your HD unit?

    2. Is there any end play in the main trans input shaft? Is there any way that the splined coupler was binding and not allowing the shafts to telescope slightly?

    Sorry, I guess that was three.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Orin, 1. Yes and I may do that 2. I didn't think there was endplay but It is bugging me a lot and I'm going to check again. 3. I had a lot of trouble shimming the engine and getting it all level as the motor mounts went loose on me the first year I had it.
    I wish I had someone to look at it who could tell. That is the problem with owning a White. Can't very well take the whole tractor to Harrisburg!
    Did you have this problem yourself? I stopped because i am do not dare kill of this tractor as I can't afford to replace it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh yeah, did you see gene_champ's pictures on NAT? A silver stripe 2-135, a red stripe 2-110, and a Workhorse 170 MFWD. I sorta want to go work for him!

    ReplyDelete
  4. No, haven't had this problem. I'm working with 8 year old memories of that splined coupling system here but it seems like it was a pretty close fit. At least it seems to me it would have to be in order to last, KWIM? So I'm wondering if your engine wasn't perfectly "true" to the trans and allowed the coupler to bind a bit, thereby not taking up the small amount of end force that it is designed to accomodate.

    I hope that makes sense. It only sorta did to me!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Orin, I would love to have a Workhorse White in FWA. The transmission and engine came apart really easily. The center shaft was stuck in the engine hub but I'm not sure that matters.
    It is such a pain to shim that whole setup it would be easy to get it wrong. I've heard of the top shaft going out in the transmission also. Not really sure how to check it all.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This reminds me of a problem we had with the Cockshutt 40 years ago. After a motor rebuild the clutch would drag and screech and fail to disengage. Went on for years til we finally figured out the shims had been left out under the front motor mount. Shimmed it up and solved the problem. They had that long splined shaft running from the flywheel all the way back to the pto and hyd pump. Seems to me there was a bearing or bushing up there in the flywheel too that could give problems.

    ReplyDelete

Tell me what you think

Please leave comments! It is really easy!

You just type your comment in the text box below the post. You can be anyone you want.
And...Would the joker who keeps clicking "offensive" please leave an explanation ?!