The Useful Duck!

Contribute to my Vacation, please...

Monday, January 17, 2011

Confederate Heroes Day? Robert E. Lee Birthday?

I'm not sure how to celebrate.
I'm not working very hard today. Didn't sleep very well. Had these strange dreams of turning a White 4-150 into a high flotation sprayer. Don't really know where that came from except someone has one they want to sell me. That would be a plan, $3,500 for a tractor and $12,000 for tires for something that wouldn't quite work correctly-ever. Farmer thinking at it's best...
The MLK holiday sort of bugs me. Mostly because I find white guilt so annoying.
The War of Northern Aggression has come to symbolize the loss of state's rights and the consolidation of federal power. Grant and Sherman instituted a program of total war against their fellow countrymen, mostly lower working class sorts of both races in order to win a war that didn't need to be fought. Hmm, that sounds familiar today doesn't it?
So the day for some of us less about whether MLK was a great hero or a communist agitator and more about those who gave us the holiday and those who won the war.
I just like to annoy some friends and family who consider themselves progressive and who consider myself somewhat of a Philistine and so I celebrate it as Confederate Heroes day.
Or
On January 17, 1864 the Confederates won the battle of Danforth.
Confederate Heroes day is sometimes celebrated the same weekend as MLK jr. day but is being celebrated next weekend in Granbury
Texas.
Robert E. Lee was born Jan 19, 1807. He is the only fellow to make it through Westpoint with no demerits. (Or at least that is what I heard on NPR.)
So I guess I'll have a bowl of beans and ham and if my record player still works I'll listen to The Band sing "The Night They Drove old Dixie Down" and "Cripple Creek."

3 comments:

  1. It tells the story of political correctness that MLK gets his own day, but the man who freed MLK's ancestors (Linclon) had to give his up. (As did Washington.) As far as a hero goes, that would have been Rosa Parks, not MLK. She had no organization and crowd of people behind her that day on the bus.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The Battle of Dandridge, January 17, 1864

    Danforth is an anchor. I have fought one in the past when I crewed on a ketch in the S. Pacific.

    If we are going to be politically incorrect, then lets be correct. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes it was Dandridge and General Sturgis the oppressor of Native Americans was involved. Perhaps I was confused with someone robbing the Danforth train this morning half past nine. Or was is the Danville train? Or the Danish train? Umm, I'm hungry...

    ReplyDelete

Tell me what you think

Please leave comments! It is really easy!

You just type your comment in the text box below the post. You can be anyone you want.
And...Would the joker who keeps clicking "offensive" please leave an explanation ?!