The Useful Duck!

Contribute to my Vacation, please...

Friday, November 5, 2010

I plant and I listen to talk radio and get all worked up-again...

Yesterday was a bit of a frustrating day. It was supposed to be the last day of sun and I needed to get the field finished and I needed to move 15 miles down the road. I broke the bolt which holds up the gauge wheels on the drill first of all. I had that in the pickup.
Then the ace pump that supplies the fertilizer blew out. Not just a leak, no a virtual shower of $3 (?) a gallon fertilizer. (Haven't asked the price yet)
I went home and got my spare pump. But, I didn't take off the old pump. What I didn't realize is that somewhere in my continual modifications to my drill, I had changed how the pump hooked up. So...I had to change hoses and fittings.
In the end I finished. It was very muddy and who knows how successful.
This farmer heard the Oregon State reports that you get no benefit to planting wheat at high rates like 135lbs per acre, so he cut his rate to 95lbs. This was good as I didn't have to fill the drill all the time but I worry about a low rate in adverse conditions.
In between frustrations I listened to talk radio. I skipped around a bit as I was trying to find the local station in the hopes that someone would report on the "Large Red Combine" that broke an axle and was blocking 99w and answer the question if the LOG TRUCK stopped to help, what hit by a tire, or hit the combine and broke the axle. No luck on those questions.
There was a lot of discussion about this past election. Quite a bit of complaints about the third parties losing the election for the Basketball player who ran for governor.
I guess I would say that the third party rescued the election for the Republicans. I was never happy with Dave Dudley. Just another rich wine drinking dude set up by the short pants, Amway selling, mega-church attending, go to church on Sunday-rip off your neighbor on Saturday type of modern conservative that I don't like.
I actually trust the wild eyed fanatics in the constitutional party because I prefer the statement, "brother you are going to hell" to the knife in the back as practiced by the mainstream American Republican Party. (look up Trent Lott and Lindsey Gram)
So... Who lost the election in Oregon?
Well, if Dudley would have got up on the first day of the campaign and made a speech somewhere along the lines of, "Yesterday I was at the DMV to register my car and I discovered it was going to cost me over $100. So I asked what it would cost to register a big truck and they said it went from $400 to $800. I don't know how a hard-working Oregonian can run a business is this climate of taxation and regulation and I'm going to change it."
He would have got elected.
Instead it was just bland non-specific baloney and expensive TV commercials.
The Libertarian and Constitutional parties got a lot of votes. The urban cowboy-er midnight cowboy? John Kratzemheimer did not win by a landslide by any means. There were more votes against him than for him. The only people who voted for him were the Koolaid drinkers that actually want to be a little left of California.
The protest votes should be noted and appreciated. Perhaps the Republicans ought to listen to what the Libertarian and Constitution parties has to say.
Perhaps the Democrats should as well.
I think a lot of the people in these protest parties are not saying, "you must believe like me," they are saying, "let me believe what I want and let me be in charge of my life. Screw your own up if you want, just don't put it on me!"

3 comments:

  1. We won a few and lost a few in my neck of the woods, guess we'll just have to live with the results.

    ReplyDelete
  2. When my employee told me that we were going to be transported back to '94, I was excited because that meant that Johnny Cash, Layne Staley and Chris Farley would still be alive.

    Then he said it was a figure of speech and that the similarity with '94 was big republican gains nationwide and Kitzenberry in OR. Oh, snap!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Gorges, I have pretty mixed feelings about it all. Sort of too little to late in my opinion.

    Orin, and grass seed worth money, and $1.10 clover, and .75 diesel and oh wait, its not that kind of dream...

    ReplyDelete

Tell me what you think

Please leave comments! It is really easy!

You just type your comment in the text box below the post. You can be anyone you want.
And...Would the joker who keeps clicking "offensive" please leave an explanation ?!