The Useful Duck!

Contribute to my Vacation, please...

Friday, July 23, 2010

Now the unstuck baler won't tie and i need to be done with hay

So we unstuck the Hesston 4690 baler. It was not that hard with the 4wd. A little popping from the chain but those links needed to be stretched a bit anyway.
He baled perhaps 100 bales yesterday. First a bearing went out in the header. This was no problem as I carry extra bearings in my pickup. But, I did not have a cotter pin. For want of a nail the shoe was lost, for want of a shoe, the horse was lost, for want of rider, the battle was lost, for want of a battle, the kingdom was lost?!
So, I got caught up stacking-in that field... I have at least another truck load of crappy hay to stack at Gopher Valley, four stacker loads of bleached alfalfa, and we still have a day's baling at Muddy Valley.
Because...When we got the header going we only baled another round and the shear pin busted.
Something went wrong and I don't know what. I have never had trouble with this baler... The needles were halfway thought the cycle and the knife arm on the outside knotter was busted. I went home and found another knife arm off an old Freeman baler but when I installed it I discovered that the tucker finger drive is bent and the tucker fingers are hitting the needles. And a spring on the clutch for the knotter drive is missing. I think the spring broke and the knotters tripped at the wrong time which busted the main shear pin. I don't really know.
I do know I have just three small fields of hay left to bale. I could borrow the neighbor's baler. Or I could put it in 2-tie bales. Perhaps I will just go back to bed.
In an whole nother subject... Is nother a word? I think not... But I digress...
Is this a photo of the infamous Kincaid Lupine, the only habitat for the infamous Fenders Blue Butterfly, named after Freddy Fender who did a tear-jerking rendition of Blue Bijou-I think. Sounded like him anyway...

No comments:

Post a Comment

Tell me what you think

Please leave comments! It is really easy!

You just type your comment in the text box below the post. You can be anyone you want.
And...Would the joker who keeps clicking "offensive" please leave an explanation ?!