The Useful Duck!

Contribute to my Vacation, please...

Sunday, December 6, 2009

Rambling thoughts on Sunday

We went to the same Church as we went last Sunday. I feel the need to keep the daughter in church. She needs to have friends who are part of our culture if we expect her to continue our culture. (sort of a strange comment I suppose) When I was growing up we went to a very small church and I had no likeminded christian friends. I grew up somewhat on the outside of our traditional Christian culture.
Anyway, this Sunday I was a bit more relaxed at church. I observed some things.
There is an old lady who Whistles. I've known this lady most of my life and I never knew she whistled. This is the second older lady I have met who whistles. I think whistling old ladies are a bit different-surreal comes to mind. She trilled like a little bird. It was somewhat disturbing but I guess it was nice as well.
The preacher seems to have taken Andy Griffith as a role model. He does a spot on impression, with a little Don Knotts thrown in as well. Once I made that connection I got sort of distracted.
There is a fellow on the back row who laughs loudly and tends to repeat any punch lines delivered from the pulpit. I did not notice him wearing a bike helmet so I am assuming he is just a really big fan of the pastor.
They take communion every Sunday. It is kind of nice to start the service with a shot of grape juice but I do have mixed feelings about it.
The people are nice and I know lots of people so I'll most likely go back.
After church we went to the local cafe and had split a salad. The waitress made Sadie a special fruit plate. She likes Sadie. Sadie is almost as tall as the waitress. The waitress has a daughter Sadie's age.
S. has a lego advent calendar. It has a lego prize from every day of the advent season. She looks forward to opening the window and getting a lego prize every day. She has most of the days figured out.
We are having a Christmas tree debate. This year my wife wants a real tree while I am lobbying for the fake tree. This is the reverse of every other year. I just don't want to spend money on a tree. Or crawl under it to water it.
There is another follower! Woop! Whoop! (as Budd Clarke used to say-but that was a long time ago and no one even remembers what I am talking about. The good old days when things were not quite so serious)
I wonder about the Lazy Farmer audience. I told a few people who used to be Daily Strumpet subscribers about this blog. However, I am almost positive that the majority don't read the Lazy Farmer.  I understand that most folks do not enjoy reading about no-till planting but there are some funny stories thrown in. I am not so sure what would make an interesting blog. I've been writing what I would like to read. I've been using the blog to make sense of some ideas. Or as a bit of therapy-although have cut that way down so I don't whine too much. And I would like to build a base of stories in order to somehow learn how to be a writer.
I also tend to be a bit stream of consciousness. I hope that is entertaining.
I have to do a Daily Strumpet! A Christmas issue! Hopefully something really funny will happen this week. I have lots of page two stories but nothing for page one.
I'm going to play legos with S. now.
I'm trying to get her to drive me around so I can double check some of the anifreeze in the tractors, and perhaps shoot some tin cans but she thinks it is too cold.
Or I could take a nap...
I could proof read this post!
Nah...
Edit: I just checked the flag counter and someone from Sweden visited The Lazy Farmer. How do people find this blog and do people stumble upon it stay? I would think I would have a limited audience.
Also, I just thought of this memory from High School when I saw the Swedish flag.
I hated school. I hated school with a passion. I have never been back to school. Amity won some sort of championship. I don't care. I did not go to the game. I don't know the score. I don't care.
I don't remember why I hated school. I think people liked me. I guess I don't really know.
Anyway, we had a Swedish exchange student. I joined AFS for some reason. She was in AFS. She was nice but very quiet. I gave her a ride home from meetings sometimes. I think she liked Bunny Wailer or Desmond Dekker or Bob Marley. I have a faint memory of setting in her driveway listening to Desmond Dekker or something on the tape player. She asked me to the prom but I didn't go to the prom. That was all a long time ago. Pretty funny I would remember that. Might have been because I looked up all my Bob Marley stuff as my Uncle's Grandson is a total pothead.
He ran the shop Saturday when his Grandpa and Grandma went to a family Christmas/Thanksgiving dinner in Coos Bay. He went out for a half hour ride with his friends. He came wearing sun glasses. It was coffee time. He leaned back in a chair and was quiet. As my personal assistant noted, "K. is BAKED!" He reeked of chronic when he came in. I had spilled gasoline on myself so I couldn't smell it. (Good thing I don't smoke.) Hotboxing at coffee time! Now that is what memories are made of!
It is pretty funny. Sometimes I call him "chronic boy." He just grins.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Tell me what you think

Please leave comments! It is really easy!

You just type your comment in the text box below the post. You can be anyone you want.
And...Would the joker who keeps clicking "offensive" please leave an explanation ?!