The Useful Duck!

Contribute to my Vacation, please...

Saturday, August 1, 2009

Saturday morning

It has been quite the hectic week. Temperatures were up to 107 degrees. This would not be such a big deal but-the humidity was so high it affected the baling. 
I was attempting to do 80 acres of fescue straw and 30 acres of meadow foxtail straw. The moisture levels were so high that I could not start baling till 11:00 am and then it would come back up at 10:30 p.m. If you have temperatures of 107 at 4 p.m. and have to take a couple hours off due to fire danger, well you don't get a lot done.
I didn't do the whole 80 acres. I did 50 and gave the rest to the young fellow who what given the other half of the straw (160 acres total). The farmer I was selling to decided the straw quality was not good enough and suggested I sell to someone else. The fellow who got the other half of the field had already said he would buy my half to I sold to him.
I got to thinking whilst driving around the field in the high temps that I was not making a lot of money. This other fellow has a lot higher payments than I do. What is the point in selling to him when he could just bale it and I could go do something else. So I gave him the rest of my share. Seemed to make him happy.
We may watch movies on the barn tonight.
Tomorrow daughter and I are going to Antique Powerland at Brooks. Hope it is not 95 degrees there.
I do enjoy the smell of woodsmoke and distillate.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Tell me what you think

Please leave comments! It is really easy!

You just type your comment in the text box below the post. You can be anyone you want.
And...Would the joker who keeps clicking "offensive" please leave an explanation ?!